Mark Sapiro writes:
 > On 7/22/20 12:54 AM, Daniel Krause via Mailman-Users wrote:

 > > We have a running 2.1.12 installation that was done long ago via an
 > > external consultant.
 > > It hasn't been changed in years, but I would like to upgrade this to at
 > > least the latest 2.x version and potentially 3.x.

Aside from what Mark said, do you know if the consultant (or a later
worker) added any customizations?  If you don't know, don't worry too
much -- I'm sure we can help restore any changes.  But be sure to keep
a tarball of the old code, it would provide clues.  (Use the rpm query
interface to find what files Mailman installs.)

 > > We would also like to migrate this from the current Centos VM to an Ubuntu
 > > EC2 instance

Are you moving platforms, or do you mean your current EC2 instance
"happens" to be Centos, and your enterprise is standardizing on
Ubuntu?  If your current host is not EC2, be aware that mailing lists
have problems in some configurations of some cloud platforms because
the platforms don't allow forwarding (From address not in your domain).

 > You have choices. Basically, there are Debian/Ubuntu packages for both
 > Mailman 2.1 and Mailman 3, but I don't necessarily recommend them. I
 > prefer installing Mailman 2.1 from source

I also recommend source builds.  They're more consistent if you more
platforms and/or OSes.

Steve