Steven Jones writes:

 > Trying to do a setup,

Did you get the issue with missing mailman-*.timer files sorted, or
are you problem-solving in parallel?

 > I get the default page OK but when I follow the link,
 >
 > "List administrators, you can visit the list admin overview page to
 > find the management interface for your list."
 >
 > I get,
 >
 > Not Found
 >
 > The requested URL /mailman/admin was not found on this server.

I'm guessing that you're using Red Hat packages (or perhaps RPMs from
a 3rd party repository) to install.

Both problems seem to stem from a lack of, or failed, configuration of
Mailman and systems (systemd, Apache) that it interacts with.

My first guess is that Mailman proper and files that interface Mailman
with other packages are split into separate packages, and you need to
install those "interface/configuration" packages as well.  (Although
they should be specified as dependencies for the Mailman package
itself, and automatically installed or at least get a loud warning
that dependencies aren't satisfied.)

The second possibility is that packages were incompletely installed so
that the configuration step did not occur.  If so, it's possible that
your package manager can diagnose this, and try to complete the
installation process.

Again, I would say that checking with the package provider you are
more likely to get help than from Mailman sources, although there are
probably Red Hat users here.

If you don't get help through those channels, it would help if you can
tell us exactly how you installed Mailman, and send us your Mailman,
Apache, and MTA (if nothing else is configured, I bet you're going to
have MTA problems too) configurations.

It's not hard to install Mailman from source.  There's one binary that
needs to be compiled from C source; everything else is Python.
Probably somebody can help with manual configuration of systemd so
that cron jobs get run and Mailman's runners get started automatically
at boot, etc, and many of us can help with manual configuration of
Apache and several other webservers.

The problem for us helping with distro packages is that the distros
tend to have somewhat idiosyncratic file system layouts (they
interpret the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard differently) and manage
automatic configuration of MTAs, webservers, and daemon management
differently.  If you don't use that distro, you're lost trying to help
somebody else.  However, with installation from source, there's a
traditional layout under /usr/local that we all know well.  The main
issue with installation from source is that if you upgrade, you need
to do the installation manually again and may need to tweak
configurations.  But with Mailman 2 basically at EOL, you shouldn't
need to upgrade or tweak (no new features).

We'll do what we can, but that's the situation.

Steve