Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users writes:

 > I personally think that you, Stephen, are digging high and low to find
 > any reason for Mailman2 to not continue forward under the Mailman
 > umbrella.

Digging??  Wake up, Jim!  It's *official policy* that Mailman 2 will
not receive new features under the Mailman umbrella.  It has been so
for *years*.  And the reasons have been the same for just as long:
It's because we don't want to support them.  Mark and I have both been
quite clear about that.

If you will support Mailman 2 going forward as we (ie, mostly Mark)
have supported it to date, that would be fine.  But you've explicitly
denied that you want to do that work.  You don't think it's necessary.
We think it addresses the needs of the users who need us most, so
we'll keep doing it our way, ie, we will support no new features.

 > Obstruction much?

There you go with the abuse again.  But I'll answer you politely.

Mailman is free software.  There's no "obstruction" at all, it's
almost impossible to obstruct you -- you have the code, it's easy to
find well-known places to host your releases and issue tracker, and
we're not going to stop you from announcing them here or on the wiki.
You don't need anything else.

You demand a bunch of perks: use of the Mailman brand, commit rights
in the official Mailman 2 repository, manager access to the tracker (I
assume), a seat in the cabal, etc.  You also apparently think you have
the right to tell Mark and me which releases we should support.  My
question is: what do our users get in return?  If they wanted "bright!
new! shiny!", they'd migrate to Mailman 3.  I don't see much in the
plus column.  On the minus side, Mark and I will spend time supporting
your new features, time we can't spend on "classic" Mailman 2 issues,
Python 2 EOL issues, or on Mailman 3 development, which is what the
project is committed to, as Mark and I are.

I don't see that as a good deal for Mark and me, or for the great
majority of Mailman 2 users.