Bader, Robert (Bob) writes:

 > I am not sure how many messages they linked  but I suspect it is a
 > lot. They have lists they use for their groups, and will link to
 > the messages on their internal website.  But if that is the only
 > option then that is what they will need to do if they want to keep
 > the links.

The mbox files should retain the Message-ID field, so it is probably
not hard to write a program to create these links automatically.
Exactly what the program should do depends on how you propose to do
this.  There are a couple of approaches, such as using HTTP redirects
in the webserver, or rewriting the index files in the archives.

I will not have time to do it myself until the end of April, but maybe
you can find someone else to do it sooner.

Steve