Karl Berry writes:

I'm surprised Mark hasn't chimed in, maybe he's out on a boat catching
salmon.  Don't know when he'll be back, so here's what little I can
say.

 > 1) The above mailman-users thread refers to using fail2ban.

The set in https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/tree/master/config/filters.d
looks quite comprehensive but there's nothing there that looks like
it's to protect mailing lists.  I hope somebody already has one, but I
don't, and can't really suggest what might be similar that's already
in the fail2ban distribution.

 > 2) At least in my cases, the floods try to subscribe the same address
 > over and over (and over and ...). It occurs to me that mailman could
 > silently discard a request to subscribe an address f...@bar.com if
 > out the confirmation request. Would this be doable? Mark, anyone?

I'm pretty sure Mailman 3 has this although it may be recent.  I doubt
Mark would be willing to add it if it's not already in Mailman 2,
although it's the kind of think I would think he would have back
ported.  Do you have the most recent version of Mailman?

If it's not in the most recent version of Mailman 2, or you don't want
to upgrade for some reason, it's certainly doable as a patch, but how
to implement will depend on how fast the requests are coming.  I'm
pretty sure that Mailman does not have a database of pending
subscriptions that's efficient for this purpose.  Your sources of
information would be the log files (which presumably get rotated, may
not have successful subscriptions, and so can't be 100% depended on)
and the pickled subscription objects (.pck files) in the queue.  The
.pcks have a name that matches the one-time key so can easily be
identified from a confirmation request, but the information needed to
identify that this is a duplicated subscription is inside the object,
which would need to be unpickled.  This is not a terribly
time-intensive operation, but could take a while if the evil requests
come in frequently enough to build up a long queue, and in this design
you'd be repeating this for every request.

If you don't mind missing one occasionally (ie, across log rotations)
and the log files aren't humongous, you could just read the whole log
every time, which would be much faster than working with the pickles,
and look for matches on the subscription address.

The main issue I could see with either method is that this will slow
down subscription processing substantially if the queue is long, which
could happen with a "shotgun" of subscription attempts with different
addresses.  Keeping the database of pending subscriptions in memory
would help with that, but you'd need to reread the .pcks on restarts.

I'm not really sure where this code would go.  Probably in
Mailman/ListAdmin.py, although it might be called from MailingList.py.

Steve