On 10/12/21 8:30 AM, Jayson Smith wrote:

Now that I have her new Email address, I can check my server logs and…the confirmation request is being rejected by her incoming SMTP server with a "Service Unavailable" error. However, since Sendmail logs don't actually show the full rejection message, that's all I know, and it's not enough to go on. I know the bounce report would contain the entire rejection message, but at this point I don't have access to that since it went to listname-bounces and Mailman happily gobbled it up, then did nothing with it.

I don't know about Sendmail, but Postfix logs the complete server response which has all the info that would be in the bounce message.

My question is, is there a more eloquent way to see or get a log of the actual bounce in a situation like this in order to see the entire error text as opposed to just "Service Unavailable" or similar?

You could switch to Postfix <wink>.

In Mailman 2.1.19+ there is a Bounce processing -> bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment setting. Set that to Yes and you will get a copy of sendmail's DSN when ever the user's bounce score is incremented, but this won't work for a subscription or address change confirmation because the bouncing address is not a member at that point.