Adam Morris writes:

 > I have seen on some mailman lists where messages sent to a list when
 > received by others have the word spam in the subject.

Mailman does not do this, unless the list admin sets the subject tag
to something containing "spam".

 > Is this a mailman setting that can be changed

No.  Mailman does have optional (quite primitive) spam filtering built
in, all it does if it catches something spammy is hold it or discard
it, depending on settings.  Stock Mailman will not edit the message
just because it's spammy.  This filtering is off by default IIRC,
because we recommend using it only as a last resort.  Filtering should
be done in the MTA, which has access to much more effective filtering
options.

 > or is it a setting either with the mailman hosting provider?

This should be the responsibility of the final recipient, not the
Mailman host.  Unfortunately the Mailman host MTA cannot automatically
tell the difference between a mailing list post and other local mail.
Worse, it may not be able to communicate this to a filter.

If it turns out to be the Mailman host, the MTA needs to be
reconfigured.  In the simplest case, the MTA just gets a list of list
addresses and sends mail for them to Mailman after doing its standard
processing including spam filtering.  In this case, you need to do a
lot of reconfiguring and I can't get into it here.

In most cases, every action taken by the MTA can be configured
conditional on the address.  It is a very bad idea to disable
spam-checking for a mailing list.  What needs to be done is to
configure the spam-checker to *not* alter the Subject, but only for
Mailman posts.  Of course they could disable marking the Subject with
"spam" for all mail, but that would surely get very strong pushback
from the host admin.  On the other hand, if you're sure enough that
something is spam to edit the Subject, you really shouldn't be
distributing it to a mailing list at all.

This is going to be specific to the MTA and to the spam checker.