On 9/13/23 7:42 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt via Mailman-Users wrote:
* A mail goes to both lists.

A singular email is sent to both lists as a recipient.

* The mail is delivered twice (to an exchange server), in two SMTP sessions, to the same user adress. I get two positive delivery confirmations.

This is what I would expect.

* since the message-id is identical, exchange is performing duplicate message elimination

Okay.

Since the mails are in fact NOT identical (different Subject -- each lists adds their own [foo] and [bar] prefix), I'd very much prefer a new message-id for the distributed mails.

Oh ... that's not where I thought this was going to end up.

I'd have to go back and read RFCs on what the underlying purpose of the Message-ID is and if using it's definition the messages are identical or if they should have different Message-IDs after leaving the mailing list.

I can see it both ways. The message is the same and not the same at the same time.

I'm sure I can hack something up in Postfix, but is there an easy way (tm)?

I'm sure there are things that can be done too. My concern becomes what happens to threading when messing with the Message-ID? Conditionally messing with the Message-ID is an entirely different problem.

This will probably be an interesting thread to read.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die