On 3/8/24 12:10 PM, j...@janalexander.ca wrote:
Below is the bounce notice received. It looks like "Excessive or fatal bounces" is the
culprit. Our threshold is set to 5.0. Once the bounce threshold score is reached it checks
"nomail" next to the account and disables it. You know all this of course.

However, it's not exactly logical that all the icloud and mac email accounts
have excessive bounces at once. Or, the hotmail and live accounts for that
matter.

Sure it is. They are all rejecting the same mail so the user's bounce scores all increment on the same messages and reach threshhold on the same message.

    host mx02.mail.icloud.com [17.57.152.5]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    554 5.7.1 [HM08] Message rejected due to local policy. Please visit
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

This is not a very informative message, but it does say that your mail and mail server should conform to best practices. The important things are full circle DNS for the sending server (which is the case for the mailist.dunbar-vancouver.org domain) and DKIM signing outgoing mail. I can't see from what you posted if the mail has a valid DKIM signature. Where there additional headers beyond the From:, Subject:,Date:, To: and Reply-To: that you posted?
Most of the `best practices` are things controlled by the host.