On 16 May 2014, at 6:46, David Rees wrote:

I'm very excited about the gmail label support you are building into
MailMate, its the key feature I keep looking for in an OSX client. Simply
showing them as folders isn't enough for folks who active use Gmail.

Once I make a gmail label a tag I lose it it as a folder on the left
however. So its hard to quickly see all emails with a given tag (which is
something a Gmail user is pretty used to).

I've tried working around this with smart folder submailboxes on
Tags/Keywords, but it seems to be showing "Raw Flags" as described in ticket
374<http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672-mailmate/tickets/374-Column-for-Showing-Tags-Keywords#ticket-374-3>.
That unfortunately doesn't do the job since I get submailboxes like "@0, \Flagged" and "$NotJunk, @0, \Answered, \Flagged, \Seen" (@0 is my gmail
label name).

It's slightly better if you use the virtual `Tags` header instead of `Tags/Keywords`, but it'll only work well if you have at most 1 tag per message. This is because submailboxes cannot handle multi-value headers yet. This is almost only a problem for flags/tags and recipient headers, but those are of course important problems.

Is there anything I can do to work around this? I was thinking I could
perhaps try changing the submailbox format name from ${#flags.flag}", but even if I can get that to narrow it down just to the label name it won't
handle the case of multiple labels on the same message.

Yes, so currently your only alternative is to manually create smart mailboxes for each tag.

On the plus side I answered your question in the [ticket system](http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/374) about how to manually add a (hardcoded) “Tags” column. Other users might find that interesting as well.