I had a similar set of event a few months back and discovered 2 things that were biting me:

* Auto-purge set on my mobile devices.

* Clicking on a message field created a search and dropped me into the “All Messages” box. While I was there, I decided to do some cleaning but at that time, I did not have the “Source Mailbox” column enabled so when cleaning, I ended up permanently deleting a lot of my Sent Items.

I have no idea if either of these relate to your issue - just sharing my experience…

Good luck…

- - -