On 23 Sep 2014, at 13:49, Lars Ippich wrote:

Quick question - is it possible to hide messages of a specific account's inbox from the general "Inbox"?

No.

I have a work-related account that I only want to keep an eye on, but don't want to mess up my Inbox.

I have various open requests for “silencing” accounts/mailboxes, but currently no such feature is available. You can only do it by introducing an alternative Inbox (smart mailbox) which only includes the messages you would like to see. You can make menu/dock-counters point to this as well (see the Counters preferences pane).