On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 06:55:46AM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> > +If C<prompt()> detects that it is not running in interactively (say,
> > +if it is running from a CPAN shell), or if the PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT
> > +environment variable is set to true, the $default will be used without
> > +prompting.  This prevents automated processes from blocking on user
> > +input.
>
> In my experience, it still prompts under the CPAN shell, but not CPANPLUS.

Ok, I'll just pull out the reference to the CPAN shells and just say "if
it's not running interactively".  Let the CPAN shell authors figure it out.
They should probably have a configuration option.

> I've actually come to rely on the former behavior and was surprised that
> CPANPLUS didn't work the same way, causing it to be basically imposssible
> to do a fresh install of Alzabo via CPANPLUS.  How about a way to _force_
> it to prompt or give up if that's really impossible?

A timeout argument to prompt() might be worthwhile.  And an accompanying
environment variable.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One