Ok, lemme see what I'm up to on integrating all this.  Try the latest
snapshot.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 04:36:45PM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> 1.) MakeMaker.pm : check_hints()
>
> There were two places where catdir was used but catfile was meant. On
> systems where file syntax and directory syntax are indistinguishable
> that might not matter, but on VMS it generates garbage and was causing
> hints.t to fail.

This was applied yesterday or so.

> 2.) MM_Unix.pm : ppd()
>
> There were several problems here.
>
> a.) The make directive '@' in front of commands passed to the shell did
> not have a space after it, leaving ambiguity about whether or not it was
> part of the shell command. I've added the space and replaced it with the
> more portable $(NOECHO) macro.

Fixed that.

> b.) The attribute values printed to the ppd file are surrounded with
> double quotes per XML requirements, but there is no portable way to
> escape double quotes inside of double-quoted strings that works on all
> shells. I've replaced the occurrences of C<\"> with C<\x22> and added a
> comment that I hope mitigates the obfuscation.

I figured out a portable way to escape double quotes inside double-quoted
strings.  There's now a perl_oneliner() method which generates a safe
one-liner for the current OS.  The Unix one works.  The VMS and Win32 ones
should work...

> c.) All of the dependencies were being printed with one command, which
> more often than not exceeds DCL's very limited command buffer, and with
> a lot of dependencies could conceivably overflow even more generous
> command buffers. I split this up to print each dependency with a
> separate command.

I'll address this once I figure out the whole command line length problem.

> N.B. I just happened to stumble on the ppd problems. There should
> probably be a "make ppd" added to one of the tests, but which one?

Been added to basic.t.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One