On Feb 16, 2006, at 11:45 AM, Tyler MacDonald wrote:

        I think "passthrough" is the way to go here. I also still think that
if we default in some way to generating a Makefile.PL, create_makefile_pl
should be extended to have an explicit "skip" option as well.

Definitely. I'd just change the default to 'auto' (which means create a 'small' [or 'passthrough'] Makefile.PL if none already exists) though, and then the author can explicitly put "create_makefile_pl => 0" (or any other false value) in their Build.PL to shut it off.

If in the future we figure out how to auto-sense when we could create a 'traditional' Makefile.PL that would be cool, but I don't really see it happening. Too hard.

 -Ken