Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> I've tried the 'perl -MCPAN -e "install ExtUtils::MakeMaker"' install
> again this morning on a fresh installation of ActiveState Perl
> 5.6.1.638. With nmake 1.5 on WinXP Pro SP2.
>
> Below is the output I get from the install. It seems to be proceeding
> quite smoothly until the 'nmake install' where it suffers a fatal error:
> "fatal error U1077". Now I have seen this error before, and it was due
> to a command exceeding the command line length limit in windows.
> However, I can't remember if this error is specific to that fault or
> not, but it might provide you with somewhere to start.

Could be.  Send the Makefile.

> C:\Documents and Settings\test>perl -MCPAN "install ExtUtils::MakeMaker"
> Can't open perl script "install ExtUtils::MakeMaker": No such file or
> directory
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\test>perl -MCPAN "install ExtUtil::MakeMaker"
> Can't open perl script "install ExtUtil::MakeMaker": No such file or
> directory
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\test>perl -MCPAN 'install ExtUtils::MakeMaker'
> Can't open perl script "'install": No such file or directory
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\test>perl -MCPAN -e 'install ExtUtils::MakeMaker'
> Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\test>perl -MCPAN -e "install ExtUtils::MakeMaker"
> Can't locate object method "install" via package "ExtUtils::MakeMaker"
> (perhaps
> you forgot to load "ExtUtils::MakeMaker"?) at -e line 1.

That last one should have worked, but your CPAN.pm is old so who knows?

> C:\Documents and Settings\test>perl -MCPAN -e shell
>
> cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.59_54)
> ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')
>
> cpan> install ExtUtils::MakeMaker
> CPAN: Storable loaded ok
> Subroutine new redefined at C:/Perl/site/lib/LWP\UserAgent.pm line 34,
> <FIN> lin
> e 1.
> Subroutine _request_sanity_check redefined at
> C:/Perl/site/lib/LWP\UserAgent.pm
> line 112, <FIN> line 1.
> Subroutine send_request redefined at C:/Perl/site/lib/LWP\UserAgent.pm
> line 132,
> <FIN> line 1.
> Subroutine prepare_request redefined at
> C:/Perl/site/lib/LWP\UserAgent.pm line 2
> 38, <FIN> line 1.
> Subroutine simple_request redefined at C:/Perl/site/lib/LWP\UserAgent.pm
> line 26
> 1, <FIN> line 1.

None of these warnings inspires confidence me about the state of your
installation.

> Running make install
>
> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
> Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.
>
>        C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe -MExtUtils::Command -e cp bin/instmodsh
> blib\script
> \instmodsh
>        pl2bat.bat blib\script\instmodsh
> Cannot forceunlink C:\Perl\lib\ExtUtils\MM_Unix.pm: Permission denied at
> C:/Perl
> /lib/File/Find.pm line 519

I think this is the real problem.  Your CPAN shell is holding MM_Unix.pm open
and on Windows you can't (normally) delete a file that another process is
holding open.  Try 6.30_04 instead.  It has an updated ExtUtils::Install that
handles this sort of thing.
http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30_04/