Adam Kennedy wrote:
> I for one would rather it wasn't.
>
> Remembering that NOBODY ever passes Makefile.PL params manually, you
> need every build system capable of supporting those params, and ever
> CPAN client to be capable of passing them.
>
> An environment variable is a direct line from the user/system to EUMM
> for ONLY those cases where it actually is EUMM, and it degrades nicely
> in the cases where it isn't.
>
> We've already had enough problems with some build systems not supporting
> PREFIX, or --default, or any number of other flags...

I think all the blood is rushing to your head, being on the bottom of the
world. ;P

The CPAN clients can easily be configured to pass arbitrary arguments to
Makefile.PL.  They'd suck pretty hard if they didn't.

  Every Makefile.PL is run by perl in a separate process. Likewise we
  run 'make' and 'make install' in separate processes. If you have
  any parameters (e.g. PREFIX, LIB, UNINST or the like) you want to
  pass to the calls, please specify them here.

As for build systems (I presume you mean stuff that turns CPAN modules into
dpkg, rpms, etc...), if they don't want to pass in a new Makefile.PL argument
that's their problem.  And I don't think a user having an environment variable
set and thus globally effecting a build system which doesn't expect it is such
a hot idea.

Finally, should you still want your environment variables there's the little
used PERL_MM_OPT in which you can specify your command line arguments.