At 9:59 AM +0200 4/19/07, demerphq wrote:
>On 4/19/07, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>demerphq wrote:

>>> Attached patch is required to get CPANPLUS to do the right thing when
>>> being built as part of the core. The problem appears to be related to
>>> the code in ExtUtils::MakeMaker that does autodetection of the perl
>>> location when building on an uninstalled perl. It only checks up to 5
>>> directories above the current one, however Jos'es latests tests do
>>> stuff at 7 levels deep. Which means it doesnt realize its running on
>>> an uninstalled perl.
>>
>>This is unlikely to work on most VMS filesystems which only allow 8 levels of
>>total depth.  1 for the perl source directory, assuming its been made into its
>>own root, 3 for lib/CPANPLUS/t then 7 more for the tests and you're at 11.
>
>Actually 7 levels deep is from the test directory to the perl directory itself.

Then it goes about 7 further levels deep below its own private t
directory.  You're in good company as about half the new modules that
come into core trip over the same thing.  The blead tarball cannot
even be unpacked in probably half the VMS environments where Perl
5.8.8 currently runs without issues.  To change that, all of the
files listed below would have to be moved higher in the directory
tree.  Even then, there could be further problems if auto-generated
files go too deep, but that's a separate issue.

I don't want to clog up the process of integrating modules, but is it
particularly hard to pull the private t/ and lib/ directories up
under the top-level t/ and lib/ directories?  Don't a lot of modules
already do that?

% perl Porting/check83.pl | grep levels
more than eight levels deep: ext/IO/Compress/Base/lib/IO/Compress/Base/Common.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Compress/Adapter/Deflate.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Compress/Adapter/Identity.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Compress/Zip/Constants.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Compress/Zlib/Constants.pm
more than eight levels deep: ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Compress/Zlib/Extra.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Uncompress/Adapter/Identity.pm
more than eight levels deep:
ext/IO/Compress/Zlib/lib/IO/Uncompress/Adapter/Inflate.pm
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-CPAN/authors/id/E/EU/EUNOXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-CPAN/authors/id/E/EU/EUXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-CPAN/authors/id/M/MB/MBNOXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-CPAN/authors/id/M/MB/MBXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-localmirror/authors/id/E/EU/EUNOXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-localmirror/authors/id/E/EU/EUXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-localmirror/authors/id/M/MB/MBNOXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-localmirror/authors/id/M/MB/MBXS/CHECKSUMS
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Load/Conditional/t/to_load/Must/Be/Loaded.pm
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Pluggable/t/acme/Acme/MyTest/Plugin/Foo.pm
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Pluggable/t/lib/Acme/MyTest/Plugin/Foo.pm
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Pluggable/t/lib/ExtTest/Plugin/Quux/Foo.plugin
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Pluggable/t/lib/MyOtherTest/Plugin/Quux/Foo.pm
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Pluggable/t/lib/MyTest/Extend/Plugin/Bar.pm
more than eight levels deep:
lib/Module/Pluggable/t/lib/MyTest/Plugin/Quux/Foo.pm
more than eight levels deep: lib/Module/Pluggable/t/lib/TA/C/A/I.pm

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser