Max Maischein wrote:
>> Thanks for all that work.  But I look at it and... guh, its so much
>> WORK!  I
>> keep thinking there's got to be a lazier way to handle the problem.
>
> How about using
>
>     system(LIST)

Alas, need to capture output.

> or the list form of backticks instead of interpolating strings to feed
> to the shell.

What list form of backticks?

> That would be safer and saner. Except I seem to remember that
>
>     open "-|", ...
>
> has problems on Win32, but the problems I encountered might have been
> buffering problems.
>
> I see no way to do clever modification of $^X, because the tests partly
> use system(LIST), which works if $^X contains whitespace but fails if
> $^X is quoted shell-safe, and use $^X in string interpolation, which
> fails if $^X contains whitespace unless $^X is quoted shell-safe.

My lament was sort of a general lament not specific to MakeMaker.  A "the
programmer shouldn't have to be this careful" thing.

A version of system(LIST) which captured would go a long way towards helping.

--
Whip me, beat me, make my code compatible with VMS!