>For the Elizabethans that Simon Cauchi mentions, the heroic meter
>is always a stanza of some kind . . .

Not always. Puttenham commends Phaer for translating Virgil into "English
verse Heroicall", and Phaer wrote in couplets -- but they were fourteeners,
not what Puttenham calls "the meeter of ten sillables" (which he also
considered to be heroical).

>My goal is to date the switch: when did "heroic verse" or "heroic meter"
>become a synonym for "rhyming couplet"?

Before such a phrase became synonymous with "rhyming couplet", must there
not have been a time when the rhyming couplet was one of the verse-forms it
could refer to, but not the only one? Trying to date the time when
reference to other verse-forms became a negligible possibility is indeed
rather a tall order.

Moreover, by the time the terms had become synonyms (of a sort), the
so-called "heroic couplet" was being used not only for epic verse but also
for satire, elegy, epistle, and various other kinds of poetry.

In short, I suspect there's a certain difficulty in the way your question
is phrased, and I think the difficulty probably lies in that tricky word
"synonym".

Simon Cauchi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>