At 11:03 AM 5/3/2002, Philip Thibodeau wrote:
>In an article on "Astronomical Cruces in the Georgics" (TAPA 79: 24-45),
>Robert J. Getty refers in passing to a conjecture made by a certain "De la
>Rue (1675)" - without offering any further bibliographical data. He/she
>may be Vergilian scholar or commentator, or perhaps a student of ancient
>astronomy, fl. c.1675. Do listmembers have any idea who this individual
>might be?

He's the editor of a popular and much-reprinted annotated edition of
Virgil's Works first published in 1675. I happen to possess a 1727 London
edition in which the title-page reads as follows: "P. Virgilii Maronis
opera interpretatione et notis illustravit Carolus Ruaeus, Soc. Jesu, jussu
Christianissimi Regis, ad usum Serenissimi Delphini. Juxta Editionem
novissimam Parisiensem." The "index vocabulorum" of this edition runs to
223 pages.

Dryden is known to have used the Ruaeus edition when making his translation
of Virgil.

Simon Cauchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Writers should be read and not seen." (Denis Welch)