I'm pretty sure is Linux-wide. It depends on sizeof wchar_t which is compiler specific: on Windows (visual c++) is 2 byte while on Linux (gcc) 4 byte. When Haris switched from UTF-8 to UTF-16 charset to perform oracle connection, used wchar_t to pass/retrieve string to oracle. In windows it's ok because UTF-16 and wchar_t have the same size, in Linux a shrink/deflate should be performed each time there's need to copy data from/to wchar_t array to/from the UTF-16 array, as some OCI wrapper does. (OCILIB for example). I tried in the past to modify the provider in a such way, but I never been able to have a fully functional provider, and finally I gave up.