Hello All,
Here is the summary of responses to my question about the layering
of objects within the TAB file.  Thank you for all the tips.

-------------------
Original question:
Does anyone know how MI organizes polygons within
a table (the layering).  Is there a MI or MB way of controling
the order or stacking of polygons within one table?
Sorry if this question is trivial but I cannot find the answer.
Thanks for any help.

Response 1:
There was a discussion about this some time ago, the conclusion seemed to
be that the display-order within a layer was dependent upon a number of
factors that are difficult/impossible
to control. Put simply, you cannot control the display-order by simply
drawing one object on top of another.
I assume this hasn't changed in subsequent releases, a pain, but that's
the way it is.  Try searching on the Mapinfo-L site for "display order" as
I've just done,  Jacques Paris (who else!) hits the nail on
the head in  "RE: MI Obj order and the consequences in labelling..."

Response 2:
MI uses the Z-Order, which tells MI to place layers in this order: 1.
text, 2. lines, 3. polygons. I don't know if it can be changed, but I
suppose that with a MapBasic application is possible. Remember that when
you save a Workspace the order that you saved is respected by Z-Order.

Response 3:
The order of features within one table is determined primarily by the
rowID.  The last feature drawn is usually the topmost feature.

Response 4:
As another responent says, this is a seemingly random process.  I think
it's affected by the inital view of the table when you open it.  MapInfo
re-orders the drawing order to maximize performance in the section that
you are looking at without having to worry about the surrounding area.
The only way to effectively work around this is to have one column with
numbers in it indicating the order you want the objects in.  Do a
Query>Select and select everything into a new table Ordered by that
column.  Now add this Select table to your Layer Control and do your colouring on that.
In a perfect world your polygons would be mutually exclusive of one
another (ie: a hole in one where it covered another one) and the stacking
order would be of little consequence.