i have the following in my openlayers javascript part of my page:

               var localtiles = new OpenLayers.Layer.TMS("Local tiles",
                                   "http://osm-dev/osm_tiles2/";,
{type:'png', getURL: get_osm_url, isBaseLayer: false, numZoomLevels:17, displayOutsideMaxExtent: true
}, {'buffer':1} );

            map.addLayer(localtiles);

guess that's ok then to exclude the fact on using jpg.

my map.xml file get's rendered through mod_tile (it's in the osm svn-tree) which responds to http://osm-dev/osm_tiles2/
tiles requests.

my mapnik xml file holds the following map-tag

<Map bgcolor="transparent" srs="+proj=merc +datum=WGS84 +k=1.0 +units=m +over +no_defs">

and with this the background goes pitchblack.

i have tried the openlayers definition with isBaseLayer: true , but the same results apply.

pretty odd.