You're looking for the LinePatternSymbolizer.

The wiki page doesn't offer much advice:
        http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/LinePatternSymbolizer

...but I've found that it takes identical parameters to the
PolygonPatternSymbolizer:
        http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/PolygonPatternSymbolizer

See an example of its use on the front page of the wiki:
        http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki

...using this image:

http://mapnik-utils.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/serverside/cascadenik/openstreetmap/img/oneway-arrow.png

-mike.