Hi,

it's been removed.

see: https://mapserver.org/cgi/controls.html#using-mapserver-version-8
Previous versions of the MapServer CGI program allowed certain
> parameters to be changed via a URL using a cumbersome synta

Betreff:        Re: [MapServer-users] mapserver 8 - CGI map_object
substitutions broken?
Datum:  Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:49:32 -0500
Von:    Steve Lime <sdl...@gmail.com>
An:     Tim Kempisty <timothy.kempi...@noaa.gov>
Kopie (CC):     mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org

Hi Tim: I was wondering if I'd see any messages on that topic. Short story is
that the functionality was removed in MS8. I never liked the all-or-nothing
aspect of it and was working on a method to control which objects would be
allowed to be updated. The solutions I came up with were convoluted and were
going to add a lot of complexity to the codebase for little value. That
functionality is poorly documented and by itself overly complicates the code.
So after a note to mapserver-users trying to judge how much it was used - with
limited replies - it was decided to remove it. I'm dealing with my own upgrade
issues as a result, but it's worth it in the end IMHO.

If necessary, it's better to revisit with another method - ideally something
along the lines of runsubs. The challenge is specifying when to apply them and
how to validate values. Strings are easy, but numeric/color values aren't so
we'd need to do something like add runtime bindings (similar to attribute
bindings) so you'd write SIZE %mysize% instead. One advantage being you could
reuse the variable across layers.

So, what are the options right now? It sort of depends on your needs. Do you
need to only support a couple of sizes for a class or do you truly need *any*
size? Options include:

  * multiple mapfiles - probably using includes to limit redundancy
  * class groups
  * if you're using a db backend I think attribute bindings could work
    paired with runsubs

    DATA "shape FROM (select *, %textsize% AS textsize FROM ...)

    VALIDATION

         "textsize_default" "13"

         "textsize" "^8|10|12|14$"

    END

    CLASS

       LABEL

         SIZE [textsize] # I think attribute binding works here

       END

    END

  * MapScript - load the mapfile, do the changes you need, render the map

Happy to discuss further and perhaps other folks have ideas.