Depending on what you're doing, any bulk requests should be to a pre-seeded MapCache and not the WMS server per se. In a production environment a modestly detailed raster, it's easy to kill a WMS server of any size.

You're going to have to test a range of requests to get a usable setup. You may even consider limiting the size of bounding box requests.