Markdown.pl (the original implementation by John Gruber) is basically
abandonware at this point, as it as not been updated in years.  In fact, as has
been pointed out on this list, Gruber has not commented on this discussion
group in years.

That said, Markdown the *syntax*, is certainly alive and well in the form of
multiple descendant projects.

In fact, your example file below works just fine with MultiMarkdown, and
presumably with peg-markdown (since I built MMD version 3 around John
MacFarlane's peg-markdown implementation.)

Not sure what implementation Stack Overflow is actually using, but clearly some
implementations work just fine in this regard.  Many (most?) modern
implementations also have vastly improved performance over the original perl
version for most documents (often by several orders of magnitude).  If they are
using Markdown.pl, perhaps it is time that they upgrade....  If not, simply
speak with the developer of the actual implementation that is being used.

Fletcher

--
Fletcher T. Penney
fletc...@fletcherpenney.net