Hello GNOME Marketers,

Is there any possibility of participating in this event remotely?  I am a
marketing lecturer (what Americans would call a "professor") who has been
using GNOME for many years and has previously tried to help out.

What I would like to contribute is something along the lines of:

1. Marketing is NOT selling + advertising + public relations
2. Marketing is a business philosophy that is customer-centric
3. What is a marketer?  A marketer is the agent of the customer within the
firm

None of this is new, of course.  However I have some experience in
segmentation, targeting and positioning (particularly segmentation).

If you are looking for a creative person to come up with catchy slogans or
stunning visuals, I'm not your man however.

HTH,

John

Thanks in advance,

John

jwilli...@gnome.org
http://live.gnome.org/JohnWilliams

2009/1/31 Dave Neary <dne...@gnome.org>

Hi,

> I will be there I hope, and would of course participate.
>
> Stormy Peters wrote:
> > Will you (or could you be) at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit?
> >
> > I'd like to have a brainstorming/kickoff event for GNOME Marketing team.
> I'd
> > like to talk about:
> >
> >    - Who are target audiences are
> >    - How we define GNOME to those audiences. (I think "What is GNOME?" is
> >    marketing question we desperately need to solve.)
> >    - What we'd like those audiences to do. (Use GNOME, spread the word?,
> >    build it into their products, give us money, ???)
> >    - What we'd like to stand for.
> >    - How we plan to get the message out.
> >    - Strategies to reach those audiences/markets in 2009.
> >    - Anything else we should talk about?
>

> I'm not saying this should be the definitive answer, but several years
> ago I wrote a series of blog entries on this which I think is still
> relevant:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2006-June/msg00003.html
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/14/marketing-gnome-third-party-developers/
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/20/marketing-gnome-part-2-certification/
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/21/marketing-gnome-part-3-public-administrations/
> http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/22/marketing-gnome-part-4-hobbyists/
>
> In addition I gave a presentation at FOSDEM more oriented communication
> (stuff to do to spread GNOME) which I have uploaded to slideshare:
> http://www.slideshare.net/nearyd/marketing-gnome-presentation
>
> If I remember correctly I said that repeatedly discussing existential
> stuff like "What is GNOME" was no longer productive, and that we should
> move on to an actual "doing stuff" phase.
>
> The doing stuff can be top-down or bottom-up.
>
> Top-down stuff includes things like providing budget, infrastructure,
> servers & bandwidth, and co-ordinating disperse efforts (think spread
> firefox).
>
> Bottom-up stuff is everything else (the "actual work"). Meeting people.
> Writing books & articles. Giving presentations to LUGs and universities
> and conferences. Lobbying local politicians to make them aware of free
> software at a city level. These kinds of things should be totally
> decentralised, except in so far as there is value to all in knowing what
> you're doing and who you're talking to.
>
> On the top-down stuff, we're not in terrible shape. We're missing some
> things like demo storyboards which I think would be useful - but at
> least on accessibility we now have some good material there too (see
> Willie Walker's screencasts and my "digital ramps and handrails"
> presentation).
>
> We could certainly get more and better quality material here - I'd love
> to see a couple of more storyboards & demos for things like "Just Works"
> stuff in GNOME, one on developer tools, and some fact sheets & tours of
> individual packages like Gnumeric, Abiword, Rhythmbox, ... - more
> [...]

John Williams
Professional Idiot

--
John Williams