On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Jeremy Bicha <jbi...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> At the Ubuntu Developer Summit in May, several of us that work with
> GNOME in Ubuntu discussed the need for a Ubuntu community derivative
> similar to Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and others but which will try to ship a
> relatively pure GNOME experience.

Thank you for working on this!  It's great that you guys are working on a
pure GNOME experience.  Glad you haven't forgotten us. :)

> The traditional Ubuntu naming convention for these alternate flavors
> is "Gubuntu" but it seems that could cause confusion with the
> pronunciation of Google's internal distribution Goobuntu. We'd like to
> instead use GNObuntu.

Yes, definitely does seem to do that..

> We want to run our proposed name past GNOME first to avoid the hassle
> and conflicts of being forced to later rename the project.

GNO bunto, I"m not particularly happy with..  Mostly I keep hearing "NO
buntu" which seems to have a negative twist to the whole thing.

Since it is easier to say no, how about this suggestion?

GNOMEbuntu -

Even better, why not distinguish ourselves and remove the 'buntu' postfix
altogether?

Ubuntu-GNOME
for instance?  or even Ubuntu::Gnome which would give it some visiual
relevance.

anyways, I don't know what canonical's policy is on spins.. but I thought I
would throw out something and start a discussion.

sri