I'm a particular fan of 'engagement,' as I think it encourages active user
contribution and community building more than the other terms. I second
Juanjo with 'communications' in terms of moving towards a phrase that
suggests two-way communication, but I find it a weaker invitation to
participate/call to action.

I feel that promotions, along with marketing and advocacy, imply the team
presenting their packaged version and doesn't connote the opportunity for
user influence that 'engagement' does.
I also understand the reservation about 'engagement,' but I feel that it's
used often enough in this context with an emphasis on the
involvement/captivation aspects without expectations of long-term
commitment, but that might be a cultural assumption of mine.

My two cents,
Tiffany Yau
OPW Marketing/Engagement/Communications/Promotions/Outreach/Advocacy Intern

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Juanjo Marin <
juanj.ma...@juntadeandalucia.es> wrote:

> El 06/06/13 21:35, Allan Day escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > "Marketing" is associated with corporations, and is done by marketing
> > professionals. I've often felt that the term isn't a good fit for what
> > we do in GNOME, and I suspect that it puts some people off
> > contributing.
> >
> > We discussed this during the recent hackfest, and it seems that
> > there's support for changing "GNOME Marketing" to a different term.
> > Ideas that we discussed include "promotion",  "outreach",
> > "engagement" and "advocacy".
> >
> > What do people think of this? Do you have a preference for the name?
> >

> I would like to add "communication" to the pool :-) . Usually Marketing
> is mainly an one way direction communication channel, just providing
> information of what GNOME is doing.
>
> I think we need to improve the communication channels in the opposite
> directions, mainly for encouraging participation in the community of
> average users. We lack of community management, I think we should try
> some baby steps in this area.
>

> Cheers,
>
>    -- Juanjo Marin
>
> --
> Juan José Marín Martínez
> Tlf: 956009437 (Corp. 409437) Móvil: 671596200 (Corp. 696200)
> Fax: 956009445 (Corp. 409445)
> Centro de Proceso de Datos.
> Delegación Territorial de Educación, Cultura y Deporte en Cádiz
> Consejería de Cultura y Deporte.
> Junta de Andalucía
>
> Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico piense bien si es necesario
> hacerlo: El medioambiente es cosa de todos.
> --

twt...@gmail.com
650.430.4466