On 4 August 2011 20:57, Florian Effenberger
<flo...@documentfoundation.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've received a request to change two things on our website, regarding
> terminology:
>
> - Instead of solely using "open source", I was asked that we should also
> use "free software".
>
> - "Linux" should be referred to as "GNU/Linux".

I think it is a bit like acknowledging a trademark. Since a good part of any
Linux distro is software contributed by GNU it seems a simple courtesy to
acknowledge that. It's easy to forget to because the term Linux is in such
common use. However, I have come across people misusing the open source
label because they think it might be a marketing advantage. The Fronter VLE
is an example, trying to compete with Moodle.

> I am, as we have a saying in Germany, rather emotionless on this, but I do
> see that many people have concerns with solely using "open source" or
> leaving out the "GNU" prefix.

I'm not emotional about it, but I can see some practical reasons why we
should not ignore GNU or the freedoms specifically associated with FOSS
rather than just OSS.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940