On 22 Aug 2011, at 11:14, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Simon Phipps wrote on 2011-08-21 22:39:
>> I propose we make a call for location for the 2012/and/  2013 conferences
>> now, with a selection deadline of January 2012 for the 2012 event and a
>> selection deadline of August 2012 for the 2013 event (assuming we keep the
>> date of thee vent in October each year). We can then in future select the
>> next location one year in advance and ensure the current team are able to
>> involve the next team in preparations as a learning exercise.
>
> so, you would like to issue the Call for Locations now, i.e. before the Paris
> conference takes place?

Yes, but with a goal of making a decision at the end of the year, not in time
for Paris.

> What do others think? From how I understood previous messages, people prefer
> to wait until after the Paris conference.

I understood your proposal was to actually announce the new location in Paris.
I think that's impractical. But I do think it's possible to start the
call-for-location process now, promote it in Paris, and announce the new
location in January. The timeline for 2012 would look something like:

September 1st  : Announce the Call for Location for 2012
October 1st:  PR about the process, announce details of the Selection Panel
Paris conference:  Plenary slot explaining the process and timeline
November  15th:  Applications close
December:  Selection Panel reviews applications
January 15th: Location announced

And for 2013:

September 1st: Mention in PR there will be a 2013 selection process
November 15th:  Announce the Call for Location for 2013
January 15th:  Include news of 2013 process in PR
March:  Promote 2013 Call for Location
May 31st: Applications close
June/July: Selection Panel reviews applications
August 30th: 2013 venue announced
October: @013 team attends and helps with 2012 conference

S.