Hi Marc,
Le 20/12/2014 14:59, Marc Paré a écrit :
[...]

> Phew ... coming in really late on this discussion and having read the
> other recent comments elsewhere,
>
> I also agree with KJ that there is no need to hurry. IMO, better to give
> people enough lead time and time to develop nice templates is better
> than to push for a fast submission. At least making the contest result
> for the roll-out of 4.4.1 will allow the serious template designers some
> time to submit quality work rather than hurried work. I can't imagine a
> serious template developer hurrying with a template submission and
> compromising quality ... we risk getting submitted templates that are
> more alpha-early-beta than getting polished templates ready for
> user/commercial use.

Yes, that was a late request but let's go for it. The issue is that the
Start Center has a new button for templates and the folder will be empty
under several components. That will solve this for the en_US version
which is the most downloaded. The localized versions will have an empty
folder and the contest will work for them later.

> We often worry about lack of community involvement, but, when there is a
> wonderful occasion where community involvement with such a contest where
> there is a low-entry level of understanding of LibreOffice and where
> template usage is directed towards our users, we do not even provide
> users the chance to vote on a template contest ... surely a users idea
> of what a good and purposeful template would be different from a
> designer's perspective.

I'm not sure users are aware of all the needed things to have a reliable
template and one that could be localized too, so the best way would be
that the design team does a pre selection and let the users vote only on
the templates that complies.

> IMO, I would even be in favour of pushing this to 4.4.2 or later to
> leave ample time for user voting ... templates usage are always driven
> by user usage, and users are quick to recognize the utility of a good
> template, they would need some time to experiment with any submitted
> templates before voting.
>
> IMO, the template contest is being put on in too much of a short
> time-frame, will have no community-building value to it -- the users
> will not even have a say as to which template(s) they find useful.

That could be done later with the localization too, which is quite a
huge work.

> Why not just call the contest, and, as newly submitted templates come
> in, have the designer team do a quick test to QA their addition to the
> 4.4.x series, and then have users vote on the most useful template
> sometime around 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 ... this will give users enough time to
> try out the templates and we will gain more in community involvement. It
> would not stop the designers from voting on their choice of template,
> which could still be run in conjunction with the user choice.

yes, this is how I see it too.

> I also worry that we are giving our user base the impression that
> contests such as these are put on quickly without proper lead time ... I
> am not sure it helps our brand that is highly recognized and respected.
> Sometimes, taking a little extra time will help show our user base that
> we value quality and that our contests are taken seriously.

There will be a follow-up for the next versions, so I guess we should
consider this contest as a kick-off for the others that will be organized.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier sophie.gaut...@documentfoundation.org