On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Kadal Amutham <vka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I was reading this mail, I was in my cousin brother's place, and he
> was using windows. He was looking for an anti-virus software to protect his
> desktop. Then I told him to go for Ubuntu which free OS, with free open
> office. I also offered to have a look into the system since I was carrying
> Ubuntu in a flash drive. I also told him that no change will be done to
> your machine. But he was so scared to consider / listen to my advice.
>
> So the fear of unknown may be the major issue to market a new product /
> service.

This is certainly true, especially for the person at the
"product-aware" stage.  They know about OpenOffice.  They know it is
free.  They know something about its features.  But they have a list
of hesitations, and before they will download and install these
concerns need to be addressed.

Concerns might be:

1) Is this a virus, will it take over my machine?

2) Will it harm my documents?

3) I can't use open source since my documents are private.  (I've
actually seen this confusion that a user thought that the openness of
open source meant his documents were also open for anyone to read)

4) Am I picking the right application?  I read good things and bad
things about OpenOffice.  Maybe I should continue researching so I
make sure I make the best choice?

5) Will the quality be good enough?  They say OpenOffice is written by
volunteers.  How can that be good?

And similar.  Until we address these concerns, some users will
hesitate.  Not all users, of course.  There is something like a tech
adoption/diffusion model at play here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusions_of_innovations

The innovators/early adopters are willing to take greater risk and
will be earlier to adopt.  But to get to mainstream adoption we need
to address the concerns of those more cautious users.

If this was a commercial product we would have various ways of helping
persuade the product-aware user to buy.  We could increase the urgency
by making a special pricing discounts, offering free add-on's and
other "limited time" offers.  But with a product that is already free
we have fewer tools available to us.  So we need to be more
methodical, anticipate the user's questions and satisfy their
concerns.  Endorsements, testimonials and other forms of "social
proof" could also help.  Successful "reference deployments" are also
key.

Regards,

-Rob