On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Khan Md. Anwarus Salam
<kman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Rob,
>
> Thanks a lot for your quick detailed directions.
>
> I totally agree with your opinion that International Mother Language Day,
> is a very sympathetic idea and it share several goals with OpenOffice for
> promoting mother languages.
>
> Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I would love to contribute to realize
> all of these. Here I send my questions about your suggestions.
>
> 1) Banner Design:
> For making IMLD banner for OpenOffice website is there any volunteer
> interested to contribute? How the tasks normally get distributed in this
> community?

We certainly have some volunteers with skills in graphic design.  Do
you have a logo for IMLD already?  Or some graphical concept that we
could use?  You say the theme this year is "the book".  That could be
another source of ideas.

Tasks are claimed by volunteers who are interested in doing them.  So
once we have a list of proposed tasks we put them on a wiki and call
for volunteers to sign up.

> 2) Blog Post:
> I can write the blog, but please let me know whether it is also possible to
> write the blog in different languages. For example, we can prepare a draft
> blog in English and other language bloggers can translate that into their
> own language. That would be a very nice way to pass the message.

Yes, we can do this.  We did something like this in our most recent
blog post here:
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_now_available_in

I'd like to help with the blog post as well.

> 3) Speakers in IMLD event:
> That is a very good idea. In fact we are organizing a big IMLD event in
> Tokyo: http://internationalmotherlanguageday.com/uec/
>
> Can you please recommend any speaker in Tokyo?

We do have a volunteer, Hirano-san, in Japan, but he is in Iwate
Prefecture, not Tokyo.

> If anyone can
>
> 3/A.Press Release: I can prepare the message of press release. But I do not
> know how to send it to every news media. Can you please suggest anyone who
> have experience on this?

We can distribute broadly via our blog and website, and our large
mailing list of users.  Also, Facebook, Twitter and Google+.  But we
do not have a subscription to a new release service.  However a more
targeted approach might work well here, where we approach specific
journalists directly, ones we know cover this area,

> 4) Video Message:
>
> I am now interviewing many international students and teachers in Tokyo for
> our IMLD event.
> We will also release that in our website:
> www.internationalmotherlanguageday.com
>
> In the video we will explain about the importance of IMLD and history etc.
> I think this video project can be a joint effort with OpenOffice and we can
> request the community to send us their video with self interview.
> Here I send our current IMLD Video Interview questions.
>
> 1. Please introduce yourself
> 2. Tell me something interesting in your language.
> Funny phrase, sayings?
> 3.Many Japanese hate English what about you?
> 4. What is your story with English? eg. History of the learning. (hated at
> the beginning? Started liking it?)
>
> 5.What other languages you can speak?
> And why you learned those languages?
> 6. How can you preserve your language?
> 7. What is your dream?
> 8. What do you think about IMLD?
> 9. Happy IMLD in your language
> 10. What is your mother language and why you love it?
>
> 11. Can you tell us the history behind IMLD in your language?Please let me
> know if you have any suggestions to add any more questions to make it more
> relevant with OpenOffice.

IMLD is only 3 weeks away.  Ideally we would have the blog post and
materials on the website 3 or 4 days before February 21st, to give
time for journalists to pickup the story.  No one wants to write a
story about "Two days ago was International Mother Language Day".
They want to write "Today is..." or "Tomorrow is...".    So there is
not a lot of time remaining.

> 5) IMLD theme:
> The theme for International Mother Language Day 2013, promoted by UNESCO,
> is *"The Book"*.
>
> We can make some good OpenOffice slogan for using in the banner. For
> example:
>  a. Love your language and use OpenOffice in your mother language.
>  b. Any other ideas to adapt our message to that theme?

"The Book" certainly can give direction to a logo design.

I'd like to hear if anyone else on the mailing list has other
suggestions for a slogan.  I can't think of a good one right now.  But
I think the general story could be this:  A language can exist purely
as a spoken language.  This has occurred since the earliest times.
But a literate language, once that can be recorded and distributed and
past on through time, is critical part of a culture, and in the form
of books and documents, allow individuals and communities to project
their smaller voices to a broader audience.  Today, in the 21st
century, the computer has taken over for the pen in many cases.  But
where any pen can be used to write any language, not every computer
can write every language.  Unless a computer is taught to support a
language, with fonts, with software, with spell checkers, etc., then
people are locked out of the means to express themselves digitally in
their mother tongue.  Commercial software, focused on the highest
returns on investment, often targets the officially-sanctioned
languages in industrialized nations, and neglects minority, regional
and endangered languages, as not commercially relevant.  This is where
open source software, and projects like Apache OpenOffice, can help.
Since we are a volunteer-led non-profit charity, we are not concerned
merely with profit.  We're concerned with doing good, the social
return on our labors.

Regards,

-Rob