Quoth Brian Holtz:

> To be a minarchist is to be an optimist about the institutional
> design of states, and to be an anarchist is to be an optimist about
human
> nature.

I'm an anarchist because I'm a realist about both human nature and the
institutional design of states. To wit, I note a human capacity for
evil, observe the attractions of power for those in which said
capacity is most manifest, and therefore think it a really, really bad
idea to centralize/institutionalize power (i.e. compose a state). It's
like putting a pie on a window sill, knowing that the back yard is
full of pie thieves.

Tom Knapp