Quoth Brian Holtz:

-----
I've only recently recognized this bizarre taboo held by radicals:
that there are policy compromises we might recognize as the most
liberty-maximizing ones available, but we must be demure and
coquettish and never be so forward as to ask for said compromises.
-----

It's interesting to see how standard "major party" political practice
suddenly becomes "bizarre taboo" when its radical libertarians instead
of Nancy Pelosi or Trent Lott advocating it.

On any issue, both parties routinely put forward relatively "pure to
platform" legislative proposals, then fight like cats and dogs to keep
those proposals from being amended by their opponents and by moderates
within their own parties. They accept amendments, conference committee
compromises, etc., only if they have no alternative.

Essentially you're positing a willingness to roll over and expose
one's throat to the enemy at the beginning of the duel as a criterion
of political "realism," when in fact it's political suicide, and at
least as absurd as "anarchy next week."

Tom Knapp

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: