The Platform Committee's Directional Principles subcommittee yesterday
approved its report to the PlatCom for consideration at PlatCom's Las Vegas
meeting on Friday.  If you want to give us feedback, I recommend reviewing
this annotated
<http://libertarianmajority.net/pure-principles-platform-tour> version of
our subcommittee's draft platform, which also shows what sort of amendments
some of us are proposing to tighten up a few areas where the recycled
language seems inadequate.  You might also (or instead) want to review:

*       A copy
<http://libertarianmajority.net/pure-principles-platform-pending-amendments>
of the Platform as our unamended report would leave it.
*       The raw text of our subcommittee
<http://libertarianmajority.net/directional-principles-subcommittee-report>
report, which is just our planks in reverse order, followed by pro-forma
recommendations to delete the current Platform.
*       A compendium of potential
<http://libertarianmajority.net/pure-principles-platform-pending-amendments>
amendments that might get considered in Vegas.

The PlatCom is aware that the Restoration Caucus has proposed using the 2004
Platform as a baseline.  Some of us on PlatCom have looked at not only the
2004 Platform, but also <http://libertarianmajority.net/#PlatformResources>

*       10 other earlier LP platforms,
*       8 state LP platforms,
*       the Democratic Freedom Caucus platform,
*       the Third Parties '96 Common Ground Declaration,
*       20 more declarations on human rights throughout history, and
*       6 other novel platforms proposed by libertarians inside the PlatCom
and out.

Our Directional Principles subcommittee favored using
<http://libertarianmajority.net/directional-principles-subcommittee> these
10 criteria for evaluating Platform proposals, and decided to draft a
platform of pure LP principles structured around the concepts of the Nolan
Chart.  Evidence from the PlatCom Chair's recent survey suggests
<http://knowinghumans.net/2008/02/platform-survey-rebukes-silence-and.html>
to me that this approach would be preferred by NatCon delegates over both
the lengthy detailed style advocated by the Restoration Caucus and the brief
contract-with-America style that had been advocated by many in the Reform
Caucus.

As always, feedback may be sent privately to PlatCom via
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and/or may be posted to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or our public blog
<http://lpplatform.blogspot.com/> .  If you will be in Vegas this weekend
for the LSLA conference, our meeting will be open to the public.  The
schedule info I have is here
<http://libertarianmajority.net/2008-platform-committee-schedule> .

Brian Holtz (speaking only for himself)
Chair, Directional Principles subcommittee
2008 LP Platform Committee