Dear All

The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe-asso.org) is seeking
applications from 4 volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin whale research in
the Strait of Gibraltar. Fieldwork will be
held from 16 November to 20 December 2009
(5 weeks).

Fin
whale project:

The fin whales observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the
Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean
 Sea and are still recovering from years of hunting. Due to the
high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at least 2 ship strikes
have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably more remain unknown.
Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk of collision with
tankers or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking from a land station to find
the main routes for the fin whales as well as any behavioural changes in
relation to boat movements.

Volunteers should be available for the entire period of 5 weeks. You
will be responsible for your transport to and from the main centre, but once
here,
we will provide accommodation at the research centre and transport to the land
station. You will be responsible for your food expenses, but we will arrange
communal
shopping/cooking so that these expenses will be low.

Activities will include land
survey whenever the weather is good and helping with data management (data
entry, photo-ID…) on rainy week days.

Successful applicants will:

- have a mature attitude towards
marine mammal research

- be autonomous and quickly
operational

- be able to live and work
constructively with others in a team

- speak fluently Spanish and/or English

- be available for the entire 5-week
period

Preference will be given to those who:

- have previous experience in theodolite handling, including
tracking

- have previous relevant marine
mammal field experience

Applicants should send an email introducing themselves to
paul...@circe-asso.org. The email
should include an outline of why you would like to work on this project, your
qualifications and previous experience. Please also attach a brief CV.

Applications will be accepted until 25
October 2009 and then your participation will be confirmed as soon as
possible.

For more information, please contact
paul...@circe-asso.org

All the best

Pauline

Pauline GAUFFIERCIRCE (Conservation, Information and Research on Cetaceans)
Cabeza de Manzaneda, 3
11390 Pelayo-Algeciras (CADIZ)
SPAIN
http://www.circe-asso.org