Dear Marmam folks:

It is my great pleasure to share with you the initial announcement and call for
papers for the new Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences (JESS). JESS
is the official journal of the Association for Environmental Studies and
Sciences (AESS) and will be published by Springer. More information is
available below, including a link to the JESS website, where you will find all
relevant information. We are extremely excited about the journal and its
potential impact on the dissemination of interdisciplinary and other content
relative to environmental and natural resource problem solving. We believe that
JESS fills a niche in environmental scholarship that has not before existed
among academic journals, and hope you will take advantage of its format and
content in considering outlets for your work.

JESS seeks a much broader array of scholarly work than Marine Mammal Science,
Aquatic Mammals, Conservation Biology, or other journals that frequently
include marine mammal-related content. For those of you in the Marmam community
whose work crosses disciplinary boundaries, is explicitly interdisciplinary, is
applied or problem oriented in a disciplinary manner, or is otherwise broader
than the scope of most natural science journals, JESS welcomes your
submissions. More guidance is available in the journal's aims and scope and
instructions for authors, on the JESS website.

Formal questions about JESS should be addressed to Tony Rosenbaum, the
journal's editor-in-chief (e-mail below), though I am happy to respond to
informal inquiries as well (I am a member of the editorial board and have been
involved in the development of the journal since the idea first took shape).

Thank you!

Cheers,

Rich Wallace
Environmental Studies Program
Ursinus College
rwall...@ursinus.edu<mailto:rwall...@ursinus.edu>

p.s. apologies for cross-postings!

The Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) is pleased to
announce the launch of the Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences
(JESS), the official publication of the Association. The Journal will be issued
quarterly in electronic and hard copy by Springer Publications beginning in
early 2011. We invite you to submit articles for the Journal.
AESS is an independent professional association designed to serve the needs of
environmental scholars, scientists, practitioners and students who value
interdisciplinary approaches to research, teaching, and problem-solving. We
encourage you to join as a member and become an original subscriber to the
Journal. To join or to find more information about AESS, please visit
http://www.aess.info/.

The AESS and Journal provide venues for the advancement of interdisciplinary
approaches to the study of the coupled human-nature systems. A major goal of
AESS is to encourage this advancement by promoting related teaching, research
and service and by facilitating communication across boundaries that may
inhibit environmental discourse across traditional academic disciplines. This
commitment also involves supporting the professional development of Association
members and advancing the educational status of Environmental Studies and
Environmental Sciences programs.

The Journal, available to all AESS members, provides a peer-reviewed,
academically rigorous and professionally recognized forum for the publication
of explicitly interdisciplinary environmental research, policy analysis and
advocacy, educational discourse and other related matters. Contributions are
welcome from any discipline or combination of disciplines, any vocation or
professional affiliation, any national, ethnic or cultural background. Articles
may relate to any historical and global setting. The Journal provides several
submission categories:

* Research and Theory.

* Research Briefs.

* Environmental Education

* Policy Analysis

* Commentary and Opinion

* Book Reviews and Review Articles

* Special Issues and Symposia

* Letters

Additional information about submissions and instructions for authors are
available at the Journal website:

http://www.springer.com/environment/journal/13412

Dr. Walter (Tony) Rosenbaum of the University of Florida serves as the Editor
in Chief. The Editorial Board includes a diverse range of scholars, policy
practitioners, and related professions whose expertise extends broadly across
the sciences, social sciences, humanities, and other disciplines related to
interdisciplinary environmental study, including Ellen Hines, Riley Dunlap,
Daniel Kammen, Carolyn Merchant, Thomas Dietz, Michael Kraft, Paul Mohai,
Miranda Schreurs, Jeffrey Stein, Stacy Vandeever, Stephen Hubbell and many
others. Reviewers exemplify, as well, a regional and global diversity
appropriate to the breadth of interdisciplinary environmental studies.
Inquiries about the Journal should be addressed to the Editor-in-Chief:
tony...@ufl.edu<mailto:tony...@ufl.edu>.

Please also remember to mark your calendar for AESS's 2011 Annual Meeting and
Conference, "Confronting Complexity" to be hosted by the University of Vermont
on June 23-26, 2011.

--

Richard L. Wallace, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies

<<inline: image001.png>>