Dear all,

(apologies for cross-posting)

The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info) is seeking applications from
volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin whale research in the Strait of
Gibraltar in May-July 2012.

The fin whales observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the
Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and are still recovering from years of
hunting. Due to the high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at
least 3 ship strikes have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably
more remain unknown. Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk
of collision with merchant ships or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking
from a land station to find the main routes for the fin whales as well as any
behavioural changes in relation to boat movements.
This project has been running for 3 years both in summertime and wintertime.
During this next summer survey we are planning to deploy satellite tags on the
migrating whales to identify their summering grounds.

Volunteers should be available for one or more of the 3 periods of 3 weeks.
(See
http://www.circe.biz/index.php/components/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=236&lang=en
 for the exact dates). You will be responsible for your transport to and from
the main centre, but once here, we will provide shared-room accommodation near
the research centre and daily transport to the land station. You will be
responsible for your food expenses, but we will arrange communal
shopping/cooking so that these expenses will be low.

Volunteers should be prepared to long working days (9-15h/15-21h) under the
sun, the wind and quickly changing hot/cold weather and to help with data entry
when bad weather. For more information, a video and the blog of the project,
see
http://www.circe.biz/index.php/components/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=236&lang=en)

Successful applicants will:
- have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research
- be autonomous and quickly operational
- be able to live and work constructively with others in an international team
- speak fluently Spanish or English
- be available for one (or more) of the 3-week periods

Preference will be given to those who:
- have previous experience in theodolite handling, including cetacean tracking
- have previous relevant marine mammal field experience

Applicants are asked to send an email introducing themselves. The email should
include an outline of why you would like to work on this project, your
qualifications and relevant previous experience. Please also attach a brief CV,
and download the registration form from
http://www.circe.biz/index.php/components/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=236&lang=en
 (also available in Spanish and French).

Applications will be accepted until 26 February 2012 and then your
participation will be confirmed as soon as possible.

For more information, do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you very much !

All the best
Pauline