Dear all, I would like to draw your attention to a paper now published in the
Journal "Ecology" titled "Ontogeny of long distance migration" (see abstract
below).I had previously circulated the "pre-print" of this article at the start
of the year but the final version of this paper and various supporting
supplementary material are now available on-line
(http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/13-2164.1). If anyone can not
access these and would like copies then please let me know.
Kind regards and I hope this is of interest to some of you, Rebecca
ScottAbstract. The movements of some long-distance migrants are driven by
innate compass headings that they follow on their first migrations (e.g., some
birds and insects), while the movements of other first-time migrants are
learned by following more experienced conspecifics (e.g., baleen whales).
However, the overall roles of innate, learned, and social behaviors in driving
migration goals in many taxa are poorly understood. To look for evidence of
whether migration routes are innate or learned for sea turtles, here for 42
sites around the world we compare the migration routes of .400
satellite-tracked adults of multiple species of sea turtle with ;45 000
Lagrangian hatchling turtle drift scenarios. In so doing, we show that the
migration routes of adult turtles are strongly related to hatchling drift
patterns, implying that adult migration goals are learned through their past
experiences dispersing with ocean currents. The diverse migration destinations
of adults consistently reflected the diversity in sites they would have
encountered as drifting hatchlings. Our findings reveal how a simple mechanism,
juvenile passive drift, can explain the ontogeny of some of the longest
migrations in the animal kingdom and ensure that adults find suitable foraging
sites--
Dr Rebecca Scott
GEOMAR|Helmholtz Center for Ocean Research Kiel
Düsternbrooker Weg 20
24105 Kiel,
Germany
+49 (0)431 600 4569