On behalf of my coauthors I would like to announce the the publication of
Diagnosing Domoic Acid Toxicosis in the California Sea Lion (Zalophus
Californianus) Using Behavioral Criteria: A Novel Approach in the Journal of
Zoo Biology.

Wittmaack, C., Lahvis, G. P., Keith, E. O. and Self-Sullivan, C. (2015),
Diagnosing domoic acid toxicosis in the California sea lion (Zalophus
californianus) using behavioral criteria: A novel approach. Zoo Biol., 34:
314–320. doi: 10.1002/zoo.21217

Domoic acid toxicosis in the California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) is
difficult to diagnose using presence of toxin alone because the duration of
domoic acid presence in blood and urine is generally less than 48 hr following
exposure. Because domoic acid toxicosis is often suggested by presentation of
behavioral abnormalities, we asked whether assessment of behavior might be
useful for diagnostic purposes. We developed an ethogram to categorize
behavioral data collected via continuous focal animal sampling. In total, 169
subjects were observed at a rehabilitation center. Sea lions with domoic acid
toxicosis displayed head weaving (P < 0.0001) and muscle fasciculations (P <
0.01) significantly more often than animals in a comparison group. Dragging
hind flippers and swift scanning were observed exclusively in animals from the
domoic acid toxicosis group. The data show that behavioral diagnostic criteria
can be effective in the diagnosis of domoic acid toxicosis in the California
sea lion. Zoo Biol. 34:314–320, 2015. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals Inc.

You can access the article online at the following web address:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/zoo.21217/abstracthttp://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/zoo.21217/abstract

PDF reprints are available upon request. To receive them, please contact
Christiana Wittmaack at cw...@nova.edu.

Cheers,

Please note updated contact information since publication:

Christiana Wittmaack M.S.
Ph.D. Student/Research Assistant
Texas Tech University
The Institute of Environmental and Human Health
Department of Environmental Toxicology
1207 Gilbert Drive Box 41163
Lubbock, Texas, 79409