*RESEARCH ASSISTANT OPPORTUNITY*

*EDMAKTUB ASSOCIATION* <http://www.edmaktub.com/>

*7-Day Fin whale Research Assistant Program*

*Vilanova i la Geltrú, Barcelona (SPAIN)*

*Want to be part of a pioneer research project to study fin whales’
remarkable presence near Barcelona’s coast?* *Interested in joining a
scientific campaign while you enjoy seeing many other cetacean species and
seabirds in Mediterranean waters?*

*We are seeking volunteers to assist in next year’s research campaign in
the catalan coast, *between Barcelona and Tarragona (NW Mediterranean
basin), which will take place *from March to May 2016*, to study fin
whales’ use of Catalan waters in the area of Garraf (central-south
Catalonia) as a potential feeding station during their migrations across
the Mediterranean Sea. This is the *first dedicated study that has ever
been conducted in this area*, which includes the* use of new non-invasive
techniques such as drones *(used to obtain blow samples for genetic
studies). Last two-year research we have sighted 92 fin whales and we
photo-identified 58 individuals.

Volunteers will have the chance to enjoy the *high marine biodiversity
found in the area*, including: bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus*),
striped dolphins (*Stenella coeruleoalba*) and Risso’s dolphins (*Grampus
griseus*); many seabird species, some of which are endangered such as the
Balearic shearwater  (*Puffinus mauretanicus*), Mediterranean
shearwater  (*Puffinus
yelkouan*), Cory's shearwater (*Calonectris diomedea)*, Atlantic
puffin (*Fratercula
arctica*), and Northern gannet (*Morus bassanus*); different fish species
(such as sunfish, manta ray and blue-fin tuna); many invertebrates; and
sometimes even Loggerhead turtles (*Caretta caretta*)!

*FIN WHALE PROJECT* <http://www.edmaktub.com/150-2/>

Our research campaigns focus on the *monitoring of fin whale (Balaenoptera
physalus),* the second largest species on earth and the only regular whale
in the Mediterranean, *presence in Catalan waters (NW Mediterranean
basin) *using
visual vessel-based surveys.

We offer the opportunity to learn about marine species and habitats in the
study area; gain experience in field work and monitoring techniques
(including non-invasive techniques such as the use of drones to obtain blow
samples for genetic studies and the use of hydrophones for passive acoustic
studies), data processing and analysis. Assistants will also be able to
listen to vocalizations recorded in the field and help in the processing of
photos taken from sightings for photo-id.

Volunteering with EDMAKTUB you will *learn about the rich marine fauna
found in the Garraf area and cetaceans’ census techniques while you enjoy
full-day survey trips on our catamaran along the Catalan coast*. Data
collected by volunteers during the surveys will contribute to our long
running research studies on fin whales habitat usage, abundance,
photo-identification, feeding behaviour and acoustic studies. We offer a
fantastic opportunity for you to *make a positive contribution to marine
wildlife conservation* and also meet new people who share your interests!

During their free time and when weather conditions are unfavorable for boat
surveys, volunteers will be able to visit Barcelona and enjoy its vibrant
cultural offer, as well as to enjoy a huge variety of wildlife while doing
some trekking and nature expeditions in Garraf’s Natural Park (beautiful
location where we’re based).

*Here * <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUjpZWQZzlk>*you will find a short
video about the ‘Fin whale Project’.*

*We invite you to join **EDMAKTUB* <http://www.edmaktub.com/>*’s research.*

*Research Assistant Program: participate in our ongoing research for 7 days*

The campaign period will be divided into one-week sessions. A maximum of 6
assistants will be able to join each session, and priority will be given to
volunteers who can join more than one session. *We welcome undergraduate
and postgraduate students *who require field work support and office space *to
conduct their research projects* (please contact us by email to discuss
project ideas). No previous experience, nor specific knowledge, is required
as EDMAKTUB staff will provide all the necessary information and training.

------------------------------

*EDMAKTUB* <http://www.edmaktub.com/>* is a non-profit organization* that
relies on its volunteers’ and collaborators’ donations to cover the costs
and support the work of the project. *Volunteers are an essential part of
the association* and play a vital role in our work.

Join us in this *unforgettable experience* which will allow you to stay in
direct contact with the marine environment and its fascinating inhabitants!

*If you are interested and would like more information on dates and prices,
please fill up the following form:*

*http://goo.gl/forms/uU3fYmrTSh <http://goo.gl/forms/uU3fYmrTSh>*

*EDMAKTUB Association: for the study and disclosure of the marine
environment*

*www.edmaktub.org* <http://www.edmaktub.org/>

Facebook: *Edmaktub
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edmaktub/130721510320401>*