Dear MARMAM colleagues,

It is with great pleasure that my co-authors and I would like to share our most
recent publication in SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT:

Costanza Formigaro, Alexandros A. Karamanlidis, Panagiotis Dendrinos, Letizia
Marsili, Marina Silvi, Annalisa Zaccaroni (2017). Trace element concentrations
in the Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) in the eastern Mediterranean
Sea. Science of the Total Environment 576: 528-537.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.10.142

Abstract: The Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) is one of the most
endangered marine mammals in the world. The biggest sub-population of the
species survives in Greece, where understanding the effects of pollution on the
survival of the species has been identified as a national research and
conservation priority. From 1990 to 2013 we collected tissue samples from 59
deceased monk seals in order to: (i) Define the concentration of trace elements
(As, Pb, Cd, Hg, Se, Cr, Ni) in three different matrices (i.e., blubber, liver
and kidney), (ii) Determine whether differences in trace element concentrations
are age- or gender-related, (iii) Evaluate the potential effects of these
pollutants. The study recorded differences in trace element concentrations
among matrices, but in general, trace element exposure in Mediterranean monk
seals in Greece was low and within the non-acutely toxic levels for Pinnipeds.
Only arsenic concentrations were at the upper limit of the normal range
observed in other marine mammals (0.69 ± 0.55 mg/kg w.w. in blubber, 0.79 ±
0.62 mg/kg w.w. in liver and 0.79 ± 0.59 mg/kg w.w. in kidney). We recorded
also exceptionally high Hg concentrations in a single adult female (24.88 mg/kg
w.w.). Age- and gender-related differences were also recorded and were due to
various biological, ecological and chemical factors. Based on the results of
the study, potentially adverse effects on the immune and endocrine system of
the Mediterranean monk seal from some pollutants (e.g., As, Cd, Se, Ni, Cr)
cannot be ruled out, which may expose the Mediterranean seal population in
Greece to epizootics and stochastic phenomena of mass mortality. It is
therefore of utmost importance that pollutant monitoring becomes an integral
component of the standard monitoring protocol of the endangered Mediterranean
monk seal in the eastern Mediterranean.

Full text and PDF files can be downloaded here
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969716323348

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.10.142

Alternatively, please send PDF requests to
annalisa.zaccar...@unibo.it<mailto:annalisa.zaccar...@unibo.it>.

All the best,
Annalisa Zaccaroni
Dept. Veterinary Medical Sciences