Dear Marmammers -

The Namibian Dolphin Project is a research and conservation organization
run by several independent scientists based in southern Africa. We are
running research internships in 2017 and would like to invite students
enrolled in marine biology, ecology and zoology degrees to attend. These 4
week long internships will take place between 25 June to 23 July 2017 and 30
July to 27 August 2017 in Walvis Bay, Namibia.

Interns will join an active research programme during an intensive period
of field work aiming to tackle a number of research questions including
long-term population monitoring (photo ID and static acoustic monitoring),
behavioural acoustics of bottlenose dolphins (linking sounds to
behaviours), behavioural and acoustic responses to anthropogenic activities
and response to strandeded cetaceans (refloatation/data colleciton).  Our
focal study species are Heaviside's dolphin, a small population of common
bottlenose dolphins and humpback whales with additional data collection on
right whales, sunfish (Mola mola), African Penguins and sea turtles and of
course any other cetaceans that visit.

Internships are research focused with an emphasis on learning (and using)
field skills used in cetacean research such as photo-identification,
acoustic and behavioural data collection, as well as data management and
team work. Interns will work closely with the project leaders Dr Tess
Gridley and Dr Simon Elwen.  We are amenable to students using data
collected during internships for student projects.

 A fee of 2100 USD is associated with this internship, this covers all
research training, field work, accommodation and food for each 4 week field
period. Please note we have a limited number of spaces available (max 5
interns per 4 week field period).

If you are interested in joining our research team during one of these
periods please send a letter of motivation and your CV in an email with the
subject Research Internship 2017_Namibia to nam.dolphin....@gmail.com.

More information can be found on the Namibian Dolphin Project and our
umbrella organisation Sea Search by following these links (
www.namibiandolphinproject.com  www.seasearch.co.za)

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions
regarding this training opportunity.

Kind regards
Namibian Dolphin Project Team
www.namibiandolphinproject.com