Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

 Volunteers Positions 2017

 Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education
and research

The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales (WTSWW) is one of six local
Wildlife Trusts in Wales and is part of a wider movement of 47 Wildlife
Trusts which cover the whole of the British Isles. The Wildlife Trusts aim
for an environment rich in wildlife for everyone, striving to secure Living
Seas where marine wildlife thrives, from the depths of the ocean to the
coastal shallows. We recognise this as an inspirational end point where our
environment, society and economy coexist for the benefit of wildlife and
people.

 The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales is looking for dedicated and
enthusiastic individuals to join our volunteer team at Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Centre (CBMWC). Volunteers will gain valuable experience whilst
helping us to collect data on the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay, man our
visitor centre and inspire visitors and the public through community
engagement activities.

 About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is a non-profit organisation based
in New Quay, west Wales, UK. Since 1996 we have been dedicated to raising
awareness of the local marine environment through education and research.
Using boat-based and land-based surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we
monitor bottlenose dolphin, harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal
populations in the Cardigan Bay Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider
Irish Sea. We also run a busy visitor centre as well as our Discovery Room
which offers marine educational and awareness raising activities for
families, schools and groups. In April 2015 we became part of the Wildlife
Trust of South and West Wales (WTSWW) and we deliver the Trusts Living Seas
programme.

 What You Will Gain

Volunteering for the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales at CBMWC is a
fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to marine
conservation and meet new people who share your interests. You will learn
about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, gain experience in field
work, research methods, data processing, public awareness and education
programmes. Past volunteers have gone on to further education, work as
Marine Mammal Observers and to work for other conservation or Government
organisations.

 Volunteering Roles:

  <http://www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seasonal-volunteers/> Living Seas
Volunteers

Volunteers will help us to collect data on the marine wildlife of Cardigan
Bay, run our visitor centre and inspire visitors and the public through
community engagement activities.

Volunteer positions are available from 27th March until 30th October 2017.
You must be able to volunteer for an entire block and priority will be given
to those who can volunteer for more than one block.

·         Block A – 27th March – 24th April (4 weeks)

·         Block B – 24th April – 22nd May (4 weeks)

·         Block C – 22nd May – 10th July (7 weeks)

·         Block D – 10th July – 4th September (8 weeks)

·         Block E – 4th September – 30th October (8 weeks)

  <http://www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/research-assistant/> Living Seas Research
Assistant

The volunteer will assist the Living Seas Science Officer with the delivery
of our Living Seas research objectives focused on marine megafauna in
Cardigan Bay and the Irish Sea. The position is for the entire research
season from 27th March to 30th November.

  <http://www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/shorefin-volunteers/> ShoreFin Volunteer

The Volunteers will be responsible for our land-based bottlenose dolphin
photo-identification project. These positions are for the entire season from
27th March to 30th November.

  <http://www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seal-photo-id/> SeaSeal Volunteer

The Volunteers will be responsible for our Atlantic grey seal photo
identification project.  These positions are for the entire season from 27th
March to 30th November.

 Volunteer fee:

An administration fee of £45 will be required from all successful
applicants.

 Accommodation Arrangements:

Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be
arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per
week (includes bills) and a £50 refundable deposit. Deposits will be
refunded if the accommodation is left in the same condition it was found in.
Please be aware that volunteers share same sex bedrooms. Volunteers are
responsible for their own food, travel and accommodation costs.

Due to payment arrangements with the house owners, accommodation costs are
required in advance to cover the cost of each block so before applying
please ensure that you can cover this and all other expenses.

  How To Apply:

 Please visit www.cbmwc.org for more information on each role and details on
how to apply.

 The closing date for applications is 23:59pm on Sunday 30th January 2016

 For further information

Visit  <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org/

If you have any questions please email  <mailto:volunt...@cbmwc.org>
volunt...@cbmwc.org with an appropriate subject line or call Laura on 01545