Be part of a whale and dolphin conservation programme in 2017, in the heart
of the UK’s most celebrated and diverse marine environment; the Scottish
Hebrides!

Our Purpose: The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is the leading
voice for the conservation of Hebridean cetaceans; dedicated to enhancing
knowledge and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises and
the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within local communities towards lasting conservation.

About the Placement: HWDT operates a vital cetacean conservation programme
in the Scottish Hebrides conducting research into the distribution,
abundance and habitat use of cetaceans (and basking sharks). Our pioneering,
locally based community engagement programme, educates decision makers of
the future and inspires people to learn more about Scottish cetaceans and
the marine environment. Programmes which are well established, running for
over 20 years.

This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual who is keen
to develop their public outreach and engagement skills. HWDT is based in the
colourful and picturesque harbour town of Tobermory, on the Isle of Mull;
where we have our office, Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Centre and the mooring
for our research vessel Silurian.

During the placement you will work with our Centre Assistant to develop and
deliver activities and events, capture footage and create new promotional
resources. You will spend time in our busy Hebridean Whale and Dolphin
Centre (60% of the placement) to support the delivery of our conservation
outreach programme. You will benefit from one-to-one training with our
community engagement team, gain experience delivering a summer outreach
programme, take part in boat based field research and gain valuable hands-on
experience in visitor engagement and environmental interpretation.

Placement Dates: We are offering a 6-month volunteer placement running from
Monday 27th March 2017 – Friday 29th September 2017. The successful
candidate will work 5 days a week, including weekends and evenings – and
will be able to commit to the full placement length. Please clearly state on
your application, if you are unable to commit to the full placement.

What you will get out of it:

*       Training and experience in delivering environmental interpretation
*       Improved organisational skills, including session planning
*       Video editing and media archiving experience
*       Visitor engagement and customer service skills development
*       Visual and acoustic boat-based survey experience by assisting aboard
Silurian (HWDT fully equipped research yacht) during a Cetacean Research
Survey (minimum 12 days at sea)
*       Vital workplace experience for a career in marine conservation
*       Opportunity to live and work on a beautiful, remote Scottish Island!

Accommodation and living expenses: The Trust will not be able to cover any
accommodation and living expenses during the placement. Mileage incurred
from delivering HWDT projects will be reimbursed. Accommodation can be
arranged for you through our team. Typically, accommodation in a shared
house in Tobermory will cost between £60-£80 per week (inclusive of bills).
Tobermory is the largest town on the Isle of Mull with a good range of
facilities including a small co-op, pharmacy, theatre, music venue, pubs,
gift shops and cafes. Other amenities you may require i.e. large high street
chains, supermarkets, train station etc. can be found in Oban; a 45 minute
ferry journey away. Please be aware that Mull is a remote island; only
accessible by ferry links from the Scottish mainland.

Role description:

*       Support evening talks – including capturing Science Talk events on
film and sharing these with our supporters
*       Develop and deliver sessions for our Summer Activity Club, held in
the Centre
*       Support special events held in the Centre (e.g. World Oceans Day)
*       Facilitate the running of the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Centre;
engaging with visitors, delivering a daily activity programme, securing new
supporters and processing shop payments
*       Develop posters and other promotional materials for our activities
*       Represent HWDT at local events with the community engagement team
*       Edit footage and create promotional videos for both the Centre and
Silurian
*       Assist the Biodiversity Officer during a Cetacean Research Survey
aboard Silurian

Person Specification:

Essential

*       Friendly, confident open communication style
*       Passionate about marine conservation
*       Self-motivated with strong initiative
*       Experience using cameras to capture both images and video
*       Ability to live and work with colleagues as part of a small team
*       Happy to work evenings

Desirable

*       Degree in relevant environmental or media subject
*       Experience with editing and producing short videos
*       Knowledge of Scottish cetaceans
*       Previous customer service experience
*       Full drivers licence and access to a car

To apply: Please email a current C.V. and covering letter outlining why you
are applying for the opportunity to  <mailto:pippa.garr...@hwdt.org>
pippa.garr...@hwdt.org. For more information, please contact Pippa Garrard
on 01688 302620.

Application deadline: 5.00 pm on 15th February 2017. Shortlisted candidates
will be invited to a Skype interview in the w/c 20th February 2017.

Morven Russell

Volunteer Coordinator

Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust

+44 (0)1688 302620

 <http://www.hwdt.org> www.hwdt.org

28 Main Street

Tobermory

Isle of Mull

Scotland PA75 6NU

Please note my standard working days are Mon - Wed