MarMam -

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the following publication in JASA:

Short first click intervals in echolocation trains of three species of deep
diving odontocetes.

Abstract
All odontocetes produce echolocation clicks as part of their vocal repertoire.
In this paper the authors analysed inter-click-intervals in recordings from
suction cup tags with a focus on the first inter-click interval of each click
train. The authors refer to shorter first inter-click intervals as short first
intervals (SFIs). The authors found that the context of SFI occurrence varies
across three deep-diving species. In Blainville's beaked whales, 87% of click
trains that were preceded by a terminal buzz started with SFIs. In Cuvier's
beaked whales, only sub-adult animals produced notable amounts of SFIs. In
contrast, sperm whales were much more likely to produce SFIs on the first click
train of a dive. While the physiological and/or behavioural reasons for SFI
click production are unknown, species differences in their production could
provide a window into the evolution of odontocete echolocation.

The full citation is:
Dunn, C., Tyack, P., Miller, P., and Rendell, L. 2017. Short first click
intervals in echolocation trains of three species of deep diving odontocetes.
JASA 141(900). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4976084
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4976084>.

You can download the manuscript from:
http://asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.4976084
<http://asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.4976084>, or email me for a pdf
copy (cd...@bahamaswhales.org <mailto:cd...@bahamaswhales.org>).

kind regards
Charlotte

Charlotte Dunn, PhD
Bahamas Marine Mammal Research Organisation
www.bahamaswhales.org <http://www.bahamaswhales.org/>
Research Fellow, University of St Andrews
+1 242 366 4155
+1 242 577 0655 (cell)
http://www.facebook.com/BMMRO <http://www.facebook.com/BMMRO>
my publications